Sunday, August 2, 2009

Heirloom Party--Late again!




I am always so late to these blog parties! Sorry. I just don't catch them fast enough.
I am the oldest grandchild/great grandchild on both sides of my family. As far as I can tell I am the only sentimental one in the bunch so when the greats went into the nursing home the year I got married we started with a lot of household stuff. Granted, I am one of the few adult great grandchildren. One of my favorite heirlooms is this china. My grandparents got this china
for their 50th wedding anniversary. The neat thing is I was 5 at the time and remember sitting with them at the head table of their anniversary party. They took care of me a lot when I was very young and I loved them.


This Fostoria glass was my grandparents wedding gift on my Mom's side. A few of the pieces in my collection were part of my great grandmother's collection. I love using these pieces because my grandmother is gone now. I never remember a table set with any of the Fostoria. She had a difficult childhood and I think this collection is one of just a few nice things she had. She was a woman full of fire. I love her for it. See the little precious moments figurine? My husband gave that to me as a wedding present.Today is our 13th anniversary. What a blessing!


This linen is precious to me.
My Mum's grandmother was a divorcee. We are talking about the 40's here. Divorce was not nearly as common then as it is now. Not many jobs were available for women. She had four girls to raise. Rough. She raised her girls by working as a seamstress. She was amazing with her hands. I have doilies, dresser runners and lace edged pillowcases. I even have a runner that was done by 4 different generation...my great grandmother, my grandmother my mother and I. I admire her courage and strength.

Finally, I won't show you a picture but my engagement ring was my grandmother's engagement ring. I will never forget when my grandfather gave it to me he said, "I hope you never have to sell this!" Hmm,that is someone who lived through the depression, someone who went off to war as a boy to help his widowed mother keep the family running, and chose to spend the war in a submarine because it meant more money for his Mum.
I am thankful for the heirlooms, they are reminders of the character of my family and how God has carried my family through difficult times.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Rachel, thanks for stopping by. On those huge iron sconces, I had already put 2 screws in the wall over my fireplace & they were in studs, so that worked perfectly to hang these. There was a heavy wire ring on the back & I just hung them over the screws & they are very stable.

    ReplyDelete